Saturday, September 29, 2012

Losing neighbors - missing friends

It's been three weeks since our neighbors, the Stutheits, moved to Chicago. It was a hard week for a lot of us on the block; we loved having the Stutheits as neighbors. They are genuine, caring and fun people (typical K Staters). There was a palpable sense of loss - our block commiserated. I felt a bit like when I was in third grade and one of my best friends moved away. What has caught me by surprise was how attached I've become to our neighbors. I suppose it's because since I moved off the ranch in Bartlett I've never really felt like anyplace was "home" - there are places I lived but no place that was ever my community.  Carrie and I have lived in our house for 5 years and in that time we've put down deep roots. This is our home. We care about this place, this community and the people here.  And, we're happy for Jeff and Jennifer, it gives us a great excuse to Chicago, but we're going to miss them for a long time. That's what communities do.

No comments:

Post a Comment